According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the average American male wears a size 10.5 shoe.
But that's not you. You're tall. And the taller the man, the bigger the shoes, which can unfortunately be tough to find.
At American Tall, we believe our clothing collection for tall men deserves a fashionable, comfortable connection to the earth. So here are a few retailers that can help you find the shoes that fit.
1. Friedman's Shoes. A 75-year old, family owned and operated shoe store, Friedman's specializes in large shoe sizes up to 21. It carries a broad selection of nice-looking dress shoes, along with other styles, including athletic shoes and boots. Many sizeable athletes, like Dikembe Mutombo, Kobe Bryant, and Dr. J, have shopped at Friedman's brick and mortar store in Atlanta, but you can also order online or by mail through their catalog. Here's an incredible short film on Friedman's produced by ESPN 30 for 30 - a bittersweet tale of how the internet has changed shopping forever, and how Friedman's is learning to stay true to their past while embracing the future.
2. Pieds Géants is a "One stop shop" for big and tall shoes. Located just outside of Montreal, Quebec, they have been offering a great selection of plus size shoes, boots and sandals for men and women since 2010. In addition to their physcial store, all of their styles are available online. Men's sizing is available from 14 to 21 in varying widths. For the extra-tall woman in your life, Pieds Géants offers hard to find styles from sizes 11 to 13. Amazingly, they carry more than 30 brands in store, including hundreds of models and different styles for big and tall shoes.
3. Oddball and 2BigFeet.com. These online retailers specialize in large shoes up to size 20. (Oddball also carries larger socks and insoles.) 2BigFeet.com has a good selection of dress shoes at larger sizes, while Oddball's stock of larger sizes is athletic-shoe-heavy. Both sites have reasonably-priced flat rate shipping.
4. BigShoes.com. This online retailer also specializes in large shoes, but its search engine trumps those of Oddball and 2BigFeet.com, as does its selection of larger-sized shoes. BigShoes.com's inventory seems to be heavy on sporting shoes, but this site is worth a look, regardless of the shoe style you're seeking.
5. Zappos.com, Shoebuy.com, and Shoes.com. While they don't focus solely on large shoes, these popular online shoe retailers all sell men's shoes up to size 20. As expected, the larger the size, the fewer the options (don't look to them for size 20 dress shoes), but they do have a good selection of both dress and athletic shoes in sizes above 14. All of them also offer free shipping and free exchanges.
If you don't find what you like online, you may want to explore having some custom-made. Look for a future post with more information on the "whys, hows, and with whoms" of bespoke footwear.
Because your feet deserve the best.